Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Salzburg!





Got back from Salzburg, Austria last night. It's a 2 hour train ride from Munich. It was fantastic! I loved it! I've heard people rave about Salzburg and now I know why. I saw the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen in my life. It's surrounded by the Alps and there are castles and fortresses everywhere. You walk down the street and look up and there's a mountain with a castle on it. Buildings are all centuries old. There are little shops all up and down the streets and little alleyways. There was a street festival going on at night with live music in several places, food vendors from all over the world, etc. The streets were packed with people at night.
AND...Salzburg is where The Sound of Music was made! You know the scene in the gazebo? I saw the gazebo! I went in the church where Maria married Captain Von Trapp in the movie, I rode around the hills where she sang, I went to the fountain where they sang Do Re Me (or however you spell that). You know the scene where the children are in the trees along the road? I saw the road and the trees! I saw the convent!
Salzburg is Mozart's city. I saw where he lived. And we went to a Mozart dinner concert in a restaurant that was built in the year 803. Yes, 803. And it's always been a restaurant. It actually has a sign out front saying "since 803". Mind boggling.
Can you believe I didn't pack my camera? I'm going to have to put some pictures from the Internet of Salzburg to give you an idea of what it's like.