Tuesday, June 22, 2010

At last...Paulus








Forty-three years ago (I was seven)I had a book called Paulus and the Acorn Men. It was a big chapter book, too much for me to read, but the pictures were fantastic. It was about a little woods gnome named Paulus and a band of little acorn men and a witch named Eucalypta. The pictures were full page color paintings and they were really amazing. The book went its way as good books will, and I've looked for a copy of it for years. The author is Jean Dulieu, so I thought the library might have it. The card catalog (OPAC is only for acquistions after 1993) had Paulus en de Eikelmannetjes, published in Amsterdam. I requested the book (you can't browse; you have to look it up and request it). That was yesterday and I got the book today! I almost asked if I could buy it. It's not in English, but I remembered every picture. Evidently it's a popular book. There are some pictures from the book on the Internet, and here they are.